The Uerdingen rail bus celebrates its 70th anniversary, 50 of them in Fond-de-Gras!
The Z 151 railbus from the German company „Uerdingen“ was the first vehicle of the Association du Train 1900. Here is a tale of its arrival in Fond-de-Gras just 50 years ago.
A little history
In 1951, 10 railbuses of this type were delivered to the Chemins de fer luxembourgeois (CFL). This delivery followed a prototype series of 10 similar vehicles delivered to the Deutsche Bundesbahn. In Germany, these vehicles and the later series of several hundred vehicles were called „saviours of the branch lines“. In Luxembourg they were to fulfil the same function. For on the Attert, Sauer and Wiltz lines, this modernisation brings greater comfort and lower costs compared to the steam locomotive with wagons. Although this measure delayed the closure of these lines, it could not save them. Against this background, most of the „Uerdinger“ were taken out of service in 1967 when passenger services on the Attert line between Pétange and Ettelbruck and between Wiltz and Benonchamps (B) were discontinued. Only three vehicles remained in limited service. The definitive end of their CFL activity was set for 31 January 1970.